Friday, January 4, 2013

The nesting begins..

Following the buzz of Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's we are stages for another couple big events... Rhea's 2nd birthday and arrival of Baby Girl!

I've been focusing on trying to simplify and organize our house lately. It may be a New Year's resolution but I think it's the beginnings of nesting (and the realization that we are outgrowing our space). Last Sunday night we had company over for supper and I took everything off the kitchen counter and shoved it in a wash basket and put it out of sight, not really thinking about it, just doing it to create a clean-looking space. Well it dawned on me later that evening that..... I am my mother! That's the way my parents 'cleaned' for company! Love you mom, but I intend to break that cycle :-) Sadly, it's a slow process. I can't move/do as much now that I'm in the third trimester of pregnancy and Joe sleeps during the day so it needs to be a quiet process.

So far I've taken down my sewing/craft area... GASP! Not because I don't want to do those things, believe me I have several projects knocking around my noggin all time, but because I know that I will need to be focusing my time and energy on more important things for the next several months. This doesn't mean I can still get the sewing machine out for a quick project if needed, just that I know myself and I know I need to take a break for a little while.

Still needs work and there's the basket, still unsorted.
But I'm working on it.


I'd like to move the furniture around just to change up the look but I know I can't move it myself and IF I ask Joe for help, I had better know exactly where I want it to go and stay (he doesn't find the same enjoyment as I do in moving it several times to figure out the best placement). I also plan to get the toy box from my childhood and bring that for Rhea's toys... would be nice to create a space for her toys so they aren't all over the place. I've been surfing some blogs and Pinterest for organization ideas and motivation. There is no 'fund' for this project so I have to work with what we have. Lots of ideas, hopefully I can bless my family with a more functional space.

Let me know if you have any quick and handy suggestions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment